Friday 7 June 2013

I do not consider myself a sex goddess: Sherlyn Chopra





Sensational Stills of Sex Siren in Kamasutra 3D


She has just returned from the French Riviera, having walked the red carpet at the 66th Cannes Film Festival where she was slammed as well as praised for her outlandish outfit. The model-turned-actress, whose next film Kamasutra 3D is all set to hit the screens, stormed through Kolkata one rain-kissed afternoon recently. In a candid chat with Times of India, Sherlyn Chopra vowed to remain chaste until marriage, shrugged off insecurities about senior actresses shedding inhibitions and admitted her love for a certain Mr. Kapoor. Excerpts:


How does it feel to be known as a sex goddess?
I do not consider myself a sex goddess at all. It feels weird, I am no goddess. I am just a very ambitious woman who has recently discovered the true side to herself. The true side is that I am not outrageous as I claimed to be. I am just a girl-next-door who wants to succeed in life and who is ready for love, for commitment, for family life and these are exactly the fundamentals which Kamasutra stands for, both my film and the original Kamasutra written by Vatsayana.

How is the new Kamasutra different from the previous film?
I do not consider my film a sequel to Mira Nair's Kamasutra. I have seen Rekhaji's Utsav and Rekhaji's Kamasutra with Mira Nair, both are quite different in terms of the narrative, the treatment. Would my film be any different from these two? Yes. It has to be, else it would make no sense for the director, producer, myself and the entire cast and crew to execute the film. There has to be a novelty factor, only then would it appeal to the 21st century audience. And so there has been a conscious decision to not attempt what has been attempted but to explore the unexplored in terms of the unadulterated content of Vatsayana's Kamasutra. Kamasutra 3D projects sex not as an easy tantalizing sexual arousal but as a force that compels an individual to move towards fundamental living. Accordingly the film would present the human sexual behaviour not as a result of obligations or preconceived notions but as an extension of true and compelling love. That's what I truly believe or at least have started to believe that real sex is an extension of true love and if it is not, then it is meaningless sex...it is frivolous sex or casual sex which does not appeal to me and to the majority of the people across the globe who believe in long-lasting relationships.

So have you been through these frivolous relationships or as you call it, casual sex?
Of course yes and so there has been a transformation mentally, emotionally and spiritually ever since I returned from LA last year. There was a time when I was highly promiscuous, when sex was just a source of pleasure to me. But after having returned from LA, I got to know in ways more than one that what is conceived as a form of pleasure is actually something very sacred and is associated with real love and will continue to be associated with real love. Anybody who denies this maxim is living a lie.

Now that mainstream heroines are opting for bold roles, hitherto a domain you explored the most, do you feel insecure?
Do I feel threatened? Not at all. I sincerely believe that we are all unique and just because we may look very desirable or hot or highly attractive doesn't mean that we are just the same or want the same things in life. Do I want to be successful? Yes. Do I want success more than being individual? Maybe not. I treasure individuality much more than any other gift or asset. For me without individuality I am nothing. I could have been any other person on planet earth. It is my individuality that sets me apart and I have recently gotten to know myself. Earlier I wanted to be like everybody else but today I know exactly as to who I want to associate with in the Hindi film industry and I exactly know as to what kind of global cinema I would want to do. And so I do not feel insecure or threatened when I read about or see new hotties entering into the Hindi film industry or the senior actresses shedding their inhibitions and travelling the road that has been less travelled. I know what my strengths are I know that there can be no other than me.

So, do you vow to be chaste until marriage a la Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson?
I would not want to get intimate with anybody or somebody who I would not want to get hitched with. So the answer to your question would be yes although I have been the first Indian to have shot for the cover of Playboy and am the face of Splitsivilla season 6 and have signed a film like Kasmasutra 3D, I am yet very old fashioned when it comes to matters of love and sex, because I have seen the world of promiscuity and the world of no-strings-attached, I now treasure the value of commitment and so I am gonna wait patiently for my life partner to walk into my life and then I would pounce on him and give him my everything.

Do you believe in the institution of marriage?
Yes I do, although I have had a dysfunctional family background or a broken family background, I choose to believe that marriages do work and the institution of marriage is very sacred. Do I have what it takes to enter into this sacred relationship? Yes, I understand the real meaning of terms such as fidelity, loyalty, trust, commitment, companionship, compatibility and I am yearning to commit to somebody not just for a few months or years but for the rest of my life. I am going to give my relationship my everything as and when it happens.

Are you open to arranged marriage?
Arranged marriage, yes. The idea of an arranged marriage does not scare me. I would just like to know if both the prospective bridegroom and myself have more than mutual compatibility.

While on films, Ranbir Kapoor recently said that he's ready for frontal nudity. Would you like to work with him?
Well, he did bare his posterior in Saawariya (giggles) I adore him completely, truly, madly, deeply but then two of us getting nude? That would be too much for the audience to handle (laughs). So let him do the full Monty bit, at least in the film where I get to work with him. I must confess that he is one of the few who has a mind of his own. He does not follow the herd mentality. And so I am a huge admirer of him.

The Playboy cover featuring you is yet to release. When can we expect to see it?
This year for sure. Hugh Hefner has very big plans of releasing my pictorial.

You've been scorching Splitsvilla 6...
Splitsvilla has given me a tremendous scope to express my individuality. In the show, I do not portray anybody else but myself. That was the best part about being the host of this show. I got to express my thoughts, my opinions with no pretension and I got to speak the way I speak generally. Yes, to have had the opportunity to work in an atmosphere where there is complete creative freedom has been very liberating and enriching. Today I am much more confident. Earlier I did not know how to be spontaneous or I thought I didn't know. Now that I have been there, done that I know that without a script I can express myself on camera. There are times when I am at a loss of words. That is because as an Aquarian there are too many thoughts floating in my mind, but then I have managed to grasp as to what it takes to express myself to speak my mind articulately. Initially it was challenging. I would just shut up and look at Nikhil (Chinappa) and watch him lead and then maybe after the first 2-3 days I was fully ready to conduct hotness quotient sessions on my own. So there would be just the contestants and me and I remember having had great fun with them. Hum full on mastiyan karte the. Wo aapas mein galiyan bakte the and mai sunti thi. I would only react when comments would get sexist and say no, masti mazak ek had tak theek lagta hai lekin jab usme sexism jud jata hai to maza nahi ata.

Your outfit at Cannes has been much talked about.
I feel the outfit was appreciated as much by women as it was by men. In fact, an airhostess in my flight to Kolkata complimented me for it. She loved the neckpiece and jhumkas, and asked me, "Could you please send me a close up picture so I can get similar jewellery made?" I'd assume the outfit appealed to Indian sensibilities.

Courtesy : Times of India

1 comment: